What do I need to know?
- The year range during which the apprentice was employed
- The name of the employer
- The name of the apprentice
How do I search?
There are two relevant series to search.
VPRS 11538/P1 contains records from between 1929 - 1967 and can be browsed by clicking here. Order records covering surname ranges of interest (note that records covering 1968 - 1976, and some records from 1956 - 1967, are closed under section 9 of the Public Records Act).
VPRS 11758 contains records from between 1976 - 1990 and can be searched by year range using the search box below.
About these records
In PROV Reading Rooms you can access close access Definition Refers either to the process of providing records for researchers to use in PROV reading rooms, or to the process of determining if records should or should not be withheld from researchers for a period of time. records about the development of apprenticeship programs, some of which contain information about individual apprentices, in the Apprentice History Cards and the Apprenticeship and Employer Data Reports.
To apply for a duplicate Certificate of Completion or extract from the register close register Definition A record in which transactions or activities are logged, usually in chronological or sequential order. of apprentices, contact the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority.
What are in these records?
The Apprenticeship and Employer Data Reports (VPRS 11758) are yearly summary lists of data about apprentices and their employers. They contain:
- name and registration number of employer
- name and registration number of apprentice
- address and phone number of employer
- period of year apprentice was employed
The records also include ad hoc listings of employers and apprentices, sorted by registration number or trade.
The Apprenticeship History Cards (VPRS 11538) provide summary information about the progress of apprentices during their school training. They contain:
- the apprentice's name, date of birth, and evaluations of progress (such as results for particular subjects, recorded attendance and behavioural evaluations)
- the name and address of the parent or guardian
- the name of the employer
- the apprenticeship and the educational institution/s attended
Tip! As of September 1998 records post 1990 are not in the custody of the Public Record Office Victoria. For records from this period researchers should contact the State Training Board.